Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Cannon XL2 vs Sony HDR-FX1

Well after the post of my beloved XL2. I had a comment posted stating that the Sony HDR will supposedly -"put the XL2 out of business". An over exaggerated statement by far.. From what I have read on the HDR my conclusions are as follows.

First by starting off this camera is a consumer grade camera. The fact that it uses RCA instead of professional grade audio inputs is suprising, seeing that Sony expects to gain a large percentage of sales from indie filmmakers. The Pro version Of the HDR will probably have the XLR capability along with other prosumer accessories, but the only price range I could find for the pro version was under $7000. The main things I am worried about is that the camera can not shoot @ 24 fps. It is said to be able to shoot in 24i (whatever that means). This is actually one of the main reasons for me purchasing the XL2. The HDR also does not shoot in true 16:9 format, and the tape Sony will release is expected to be a whopping $18 a unit. The HDR does have amazing resolution @ 960 x 1080 compared to Cannons 960 x 720. Another big Motivation for me buying the Cannon is for it's excellent quality of lenses and the fact that you can interchange them with Nikon and 35 mm cameras ( of course with the right adapters).

Just for personal input. I like the Larger Cannon camera I can control my movements much better with my shoulder as an anchor for a steady shot. A hand held camera just will not work. I can promise you choppy movement and a camera basically impossible to keep steady without a tripod, but anyone with any knowledge of camera operation would know that. and the price to convert the HDR to a shoulder mount I promise will not be cheap.....More to come

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home